Translate

4 Mar 2016

My story


I moved to London seven years ago looking for another way of life and shake things up in my life. As part of the overall great experience, I discovered a craft world that was entirely made by hand, where the word bespoke took shape and embodied its essence.
I visited some of the most relevant and prolific bespoke handmade shoemaking houses in the UK made such a lasting impression on me that I decided it was time for me to dedicate my body, mind and soul to this noble craft. 

My firsts steps of the handmade shoemaking was learning from a high established and well-known masters shoemakers in Barcelona, Mr. Josep (Pitu) Cunillera and Mr.Carlos Piñol, while I was working as an apprentice under the tutelage of other artisan shoemaker, Mr.A.Rebó, making women’s boots and shoes.


But the most impactful step in my never-ending learning was when I went to London to meet Mr. Jonathan Hunter Lobb in John Lobb of Saint James St., who very kindly shared his time to attend me and hear the eagerness that I was willing to stay and learn from their invaluable well-known reputation of refined oldest-established English heritage of bespoke shoes & boots makers.

I will never forget that memory when Mr. J.H. Lobb gave me the invaluable opportunity to learn from their great handcraft shoemaking wisdom by the hands of one of their most experienced and talented artisan Masters shoemakers.

I wasn’t located in the work-shop in London, but the master took me under her wing to learn in one of the most important artisan ateliers of bespoke shoemaking in Barcelona and Spain. I was aware of how lucky I was when the Master expended great efforts to teach me the whole secrets of the gentle art of handmade bespoke shoemaking.
                                           


Today I see this great experience influenced and shaped me in the evolution as a shoemaker, my masters have given me away much more than techniques, they given me their look of constant curiosity to keep growing as a shoemaker.
Photographies by: Tània Paredes Fotografia, on Facebook and @tania_cat on Instagram.
Thanks for following!
Ramon Cuberta

No comments:

Post a Comment